bend wyatt one crop

bend wyatt one crop

Monday, August 26, 2013

The next thing...Barn Hunt!

Hi! Wyatt's Mom here today...

If you are like us, you have probably dabbled in many dog activities.
Obedience training, agility, tracking.....

Have you tried BARN HUNT?

We witnessed our first Barn Hunt trial, this weekend in St. Helens, Oregon.
What a joy to see all breeds of dogs, from little Papillons to Great Danes having such a good time finding a rat.

There are different levels of trial:
Instinct, Novice, Open, Senior and Master.

Instinct Level starts with finding the live rat in the tube and the more advanced titles include finding multiple rats on different levels of hay bales and gaining additional points for climbing a hay bale and going through a tunnel of hay bales. Depending on the level, the dog has between 1 - 2 1/2  minutes to complete the task.

No rats are harmed. They are in a protective ventilated tube and are rotated out after every 5 dogs.

12 year old Ripley is a seasoned "Ratter" and performed her task well.



 
The dogs really had a wonderful time looking for the rat. 
No surprise to us, that the terriers had the right attitude for the sport, but what a fun surprise to see other breeds that one would not think of as "vermin hunters" doing a great job and having such a good time.




...And if seeing the dogs having so much fun wasn't enough, there were ribbons too!

Wyatt and Stanzie say, "SIGN US UP PLEEZE PLEEZE PLEEZE"!


To find out more about Barn Hunting in your area:




23 comments:

  1. That looks sooooo cool! We would love to do something like that, but, though we are both purebreds, neither of us have papers so are not allowed to do earthdog trials and the like. Such a shame, what does it matter that we have papers for fun & games??? Sheesh.
    Smooches from pooches,
    BabyRocketDog & Hootie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't need a fancy pedigree to participate in this sport! No papers, mixed breed...no problem! You just have to love lookin' for vermin....oh yeah!

      Delete
  2. We have never heard of this one, but it sounds cool as heck! Well, all of it except the rat part. Mom says that gives her the heebie jeebies!

    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a new one, but sounds like a fun one. I think my dogs would love finding rats!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was getting so worried about the possible grizzly ending to a "rat barn hunt!!" so when you clarified there was no blood or harming.... I was relieved! I bet that my Rubie would also love doing that - as you said - it's in the terrier DNA to do this sort of stuff.

    What fun indeed!

    Rubies mum xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew, glad no buddy was hurt during that fun hunt
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  6. RATS....we'd love that!!!

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now hat is something I would like to do. I am excellent at Vole hunting. And what is a rat but a BIG Vole.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  8. We've seen this on Sagira's blog but didn't know there was a web site for it. We are going to look and see if there is one near us. Millie already caught a chipmunk in our yard so she should be good at that.

    Millie & Walter

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a lot of fun! Go, Ripley, go!

    Love ya lots♥
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like the sort of event I'd love. Why is everypawdy in Blogville having more fun than me?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is just the best fun. We sure would love a go. Have a terrific Tuesday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like fun! Glad the rats weren't hurt. Lee and Phod

    ReplyDelete
  13. WE would love to try this... There is a group in Columbus.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! When is the next barn hunt? I would like such an event. Do you think I could play this game in my crib too?

    ReplyDelete
  15. How much better can it get? Us weenie dogs were bred fur hunting....anything. I personally prefer hunting fur my treats!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is something I would do well at cuz I have a high prey instinct. Mom finds that amazing since I am so gentle spirited but it is true!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Wyatt's Mom!
    Wow, that sounds like such fun! I'm glad no rats were hurt and I'd totally love to do some hunting like that. What a neat idea.
    Grr and Woof,
    Sarge, COP

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holy Rat Droppin's!!!!! How in the heck did I NOT know this existed????? I LOVE RATTIN'!!! I caught one just last week (thou, that did NOT have such a purty endin')
    Still, I would loves to do that kind of thingie!! Very cool!
    Thanks for the linky, Ma is gonna check it outs!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, that's really cool! I bet Riley would have a blast with that because she looooves to hunt! (At least with the Barn Hunt, the rats would be protected and she wouldn't kill them...she's a bit insane, what can I say?).

    Hope Wyatt and Stanzie will get a chance to try it out!

    Elyse and Riley

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness, I just went to the Barn Hunt website...wouldn't you know that they have Barn Hunt events about 30 minutes away from our house from time to time?? Too cool. Will definitely look into it! :)

    ReplyDelete